Tuesday 30 March 2010

In what ways does your advertisements use, develop or challenge forms and conventions?

When researching magazine adverts I noted different conventions of 'RnB' magazine adverts which I intended to use in my own creativity. I also researched into the typical conventions of a magazine advertisement, in order to allow my design to be successful.

Used

As I was influenced by Mariah Carey's album, 'Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel' I used the conventions of her colour scheme. The use of gold and white colour font is a typical usage for 'RnB' female artists. Therefore, I embeded this into my design making them my two main colours. I used the typical conventions you would read on a magazine advertisement, these were the release dates, the artist's website and so on. I used similar shots, close-up shots on both my digipak and magazine advertisement, these shots relate to the male gaze aswell. This will enable audience to familiriase with the artist at once. When conducting my research I noticed many adverts take note of where the album is available, this was mainly at HMV. Therefore, I used this convention, adding in this information, permitting the audience to familiarise with a well known company.

Develop

I have developed my ideas into my album magazine advertisement through the use of my naming my main song. Many album advertisements just name the album rather than name the hit single, this is something I noticed for most 'RnB' adverts. However, I decided I would include my song as this is a main promotion, in order to allow the audience to straight away familiarise with it.

Challenged

I have challenged the conventions of an 'RnB' advertisement by not using a provocative female picture. Many female artist from the 'RnB' genre, like Beyonce, Mariah, Ciara and Rihanna use provocative pictures, revealing alot of skin in their pictures, attracting the male gaze. However, I challenged this and did not use a picture like this. I thought is would not be necessary and realised from my audience feedback the pictures I did use did attract people and came across as appealing. I have also not used a typical male figure onto my digipak or advertisement as many 'RnB' producers do. I intended to make this production as a form of concentration on just the artist, Priscilla, eventhough there are male characters in our video. Other than this, I do not feel like I have totally challenged the convention overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment